Friday the Firkinteenth|
now with extra WOW
Friday the Firkinteenth is our most famous event. Every Friday the 13th since February 1998, we have tapped a bunch of cask ale. This event grew into quite a monster. There have even been several videos made about the Firkinteenth. Many people consider it their favorite Philadelphia beer event.
It's 2013 and the Firkinteenth is in its 15th year. Hard to be believe. Cask ale is no longer a rarity. To keep current with the times, we are working with numerous breweries to bring you firkins with extra WOW appeal. We are also making sure we will have loads of really cool firkins both day and night.
As usual, we expect to have almost 30 firkins for the next Firkinteenth, which will be in December 2013. Historically we have tapped the casks randomly. This time around we will split the casks into two sessions, a day session and an evening session.
Tapping for the day session starts at noon. Tapping for the evening session, 6pm. As always, no cover charge. Come and go as you like. Stay as long as you like. If you want to take the day off and enjoy a day of cask ale, we've got you covered. If you want to work all day and have an evening of cask ale, we have you covered too.
Cask line-up for Friday the Firkinteenth #28
updated Thu, 12 Dec 2013
Day Session noon to 6pm
- Dock Street Cranberry Kolsch
- Dogfish Head 75 Minute IPA
- Dominion Baltic Porter with cinnamon sticks
- Flying Fish Habenero Redfish
- Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter with ancho chiles
- Heavy Seas hickory aged Winter Storm dry hopped with northern brewer
- Naked Freckles Angry Brown Ale primed with caramel
- Nodding Head Grog with coffee beans and vanilla
- River Horse Oatmeal Milk Stout with coffee beans and hazelnut
- Shawnee Chestnut Braun
- Sly Fox Christmas
- Stoudts Cinnamon Hazelnut ESB
- Yards coffee Love Stout with La Colombe
Night Session 6pm to midnight
- Breckenridge Chocolate Mint Oatmeal Stout
- Evil Genius Naughty or Nice Belgian Winter Warmer, with cherries
- Evolution Prelude Flanders Red with juniper, rosemary and allspice
- Free Will Sputnik Sour
- Full Pint Hobnobber, with fresh citrus zest
- Iron Hill Winter Warmer, with vanilla beans
- Lancaster Hop Hog IPA, with spicy peppers
- Manayunk Festivus, with molasses and roasted chestnuts for some added holiday cheer
- Neshaminy Creek Belgian Dubbel, conditioned on Reanimator coffee and raspberries
- Round Guys Original Slacker Brown Ale, with coconut, caramel and chocolate
- Sixpoint Spice of Life Single Hop IPA - Motueka, dry hopped with motueka
- Troegs Scratch 122 IPA
- Weyerbacher Old Heathen, with chicory and oak chips
New Addition: Will be tapped at the end of the day session if day session casks run out quickly, otherwise at night
- Susquehanna Pils Noir with cocoa nibs and fresh grated ginger
We lucked out with no additional snow arriving. But it will be COLD tomorrow, so we probably won't have people enjoying a pint outside. Which means the inside could become quite crowded, so there may be a wait to get in. So dress warm, just in case.
Ringing the Bell
When a firkin kicks, we ring a bell, which means an angel gets his wings. At the last Firkinteenth, 25 angels got their wings. You may be thinking "sure an angel gets his wings but what do we get?" Whoever buys the beer that kicks a firkin gets a free I Kicked the Firkin t-shirt. These are the usual type of t-shirts that have holes for neck and arms but no holes for wings, so angels will just have to be happy with wings. These shirts are custom made for each Firkinteenth and are not for sale. You have to kick a firkin to get one.
As usual, We will be stocking up on 8oz glasses so you can safely try several of these great beers. Also, as usual, there will be pitchers of water all over.
A (hopefully) interesting bit of trivia, this is probably the only beer event in the world whose frequency and timing are completely at the mercy of the calendar.
Events like Groundhog Day and Friday the Firkinteenth are too hectic for us run tabs or accept credit cards. On rare days like those we are cash only.
Friday the Firkinteenth Videos
Jimmy Craic Head TV, July 2007
Here for the Beer, November 2009
Firkinteenths - Past and Future
|35||Oct 2017||36||Apr 2018|
|37||Jul 2018||38||Set 2019|
|39||Dec 2019||40||Mar 2020|
Back to the Home Page.
One of the Best Bars in America - Esquire Magazine